Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Returning with a Flourish

It's been a long time since I wrote here. Let me say now that it's not for a lack of things to say, rather it has been a question of focus as well as some forces beyond my control.

To that end, I'm part zombie now. More specifically, I've undergone a reconstructive surgery that put cadaver parts in me; apparently my own parts were too broken to be useful. At this moment, I'm in-between surgeries, while I await further zombie transformation into the person I've never been before. Wanna guess what I'm going to be for Halloween this year? You guessed it; I'm going as Bill Murray*.

For the last 8 months or so, I've watched the world whirl by with as much a keen eye as a blind one. There have been moments when I've wondered what we've gotten ourselves into and moments when I've known with a shudder. After some good conversation and imbibing with friends, what I really don't want to do is turn this blog into a political rant (very often, anyway). I'm at a place in my life where I can't say I believe that the 1st amendment protects the rights of any basic citizen to free speech, and my reason for coming to this conclusion is long and mostly boring. Since I'm not part of the free press and I'm not a politician, and since therefore my rights at free speech aren't really rights anymore, merely ghosts of privileges, I'm going to protect myself and keep my mouth shut instead of sporting my foot in it.

To the end that even the blogosphere is becoming an opportunity for the political monitoring of ideas and thoughts in awareness of the grass roots mindset, if not in any appreciation for it, I cry for the broken notions that once established this nation under an ideology that reminds me of Atlantis: completely missing and buried in time and under water.

Young girls in America have been raised for decades to believe in princesses and white knights -- at least for their wedding day -- and many have had those dreams smashed at the altar and other places. Me, I dream of the next Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock... of all the flawed and brilliant men brave enough to demand better than they had, and with the foresight to set up a model that was as scientifically brilliant as any experiment in that it was repeatable. What did we do with our social contract over the last 150 years to use our Constitution as metaphorical toilet paper? Even more importantly, who's figurative asses do we wipe with it now?

But I digress into a disappointment that bends towards anger. Politics is what it is, and I am no politician. Journalism is what it is, and I am no journalist. I am something (in my own mind) far better than both, because I've been bought by no man to spin any tale.

And so it is a jaded return indeed!


*An homage to Zombieland, starring Woody Harrelson and with a hilarious cameo appearance by Bill Murray.

No comments: