Friday, February 13, 2009

my boring valentine

It's the day before Valentine's, and true to form, I'm planning on all the things I'll be doing tomorrow: housework, playing with my son, going to the park, avoiding restaurants, wearing something decidedly NOT red.

For my loyal readers, you know that I loathe this holiday.

For those who have not been previously privy to my Valentine's rants, let me sum it up like this:

There are 365 days in a year. Why is it that on this one particular day, men are socially required to go out and spend a bunch of money buying baubles and trinkets to "prove" their love, to satisfy some romantic need to feel adored? What about the other 364 days a year? Shouldn't he be showing his love every day, and not storing it up, like a tax refund check, for February 14th?

Really, I think that holidays like this one exist for government workers to have a day off and to stimulate the economy. And we can follow up this big holiday for jewelry stores with the furniture store's holiday: President's Day! (and all the related sales). Next is breweries and St. Patrick's Day, then Childrens' retailers and Easter.

Now, I say all this tongue in cheek, as I continue to learn about the human sciences, and am forming new opinions all the time. But those revelations are for later. As Jack Nicholson one yelled to Tom Cruise, "You can't handle the truth!"

Speaking of Gitmo, ponder for a moment how future generations are going to receive movies like A Few Good Men and stories from the latter half of the 20th century, when Gitmo was such a formidable presence. I suspect it's a lot like hearing about the Great Depression for our generation. We kinda get it... well, a bit... I mean, look at the current state of the economy... gas last year was $5 a gallon in some parts... that's rough!... ok, we don't get it at all.

Time keeps on tickin', tickin'...
into the future....

(and don't worry fellas, you still have a few hours to get to Jared).

No comments: