Saturday, July 19, 2008

Big D and and egos

It seems that some people cannot get along with their exes to the point of insanity. I get that divorces are rough, unpleasant things that cause strife, stress, and tension. I really do get that.

What I do not get is how you can spread your legs/unzip your fly for someone and create a child, and then act like such an infant yourself when it comes time to separate. If you have children and are getting/have gotten a divorce, can you not be big enough to act like responsible grown ups in front of and for the kids?

Come on people. "Hey, it's my weekend with lil' Johnny, so I'll swing by about 6 pm on Friday" isn't a big deal. Why must the childish exes act like it's the end of the known world? "Oh, I can't talk to my ex. He'll/ she'll just have to drive up and honk the horn." Get over yourselves. This is the same person you once loved enough to create a child with. Now love your kids enough to give them as much emotional stability as a divorce can possibly offer and pretend to get along with your ex. Please.

I was a child of one of those divorces where my parents couldn't be in the same room with each other. I was afraid to ask them both to my high school graduation. I was terrified to ask my dad to walk me down the aisle because my mother was going to be at the wedding. I planned separate visitations for each of them to see their own grandchild so they wouldn't run in to each other.

Honestly, my dad's death has freed me up from a lot of that ridiculous stress/nonsense.

And quite frankly, parents who do that to their kids SUCK. If you're one of those parents, you're as big an ass as my parents were.

My suggestion: act like your kids are as important to you as you say they are and do right by them.

*note: victims of abuse are exempt from this little rant. In that case, keep yourself and your kids as far away from the abuser as possible unless and until you are ordered by the courts to allow visitation.

No comments: