Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Easter

It's Easter week. Good Friday is fast approaching, followed by Easter Sunday and daylight services and lilies and resurrection and bunnies, chocolates, eggs... kids in clothes they hate and family photos that punish everyone involved if so much as one person doesn't want to be there.

a great link for the origins of Easter from various religious perspectives
.
pagan origins
Ishtar

There are so very many sites dedicated to debunking the religious myths about Easter and its origins, that I might as well just name the blog "devil's advocate to religious ceremonies by holiday: Easter -- a guide in links" and call it a day.

But that would bore all my lovely fans that come here to read my wit, my insight, and ponder my jaded perspective.

Easter is no different for me than Valentine's Day. It's a great opportunity to sell chocolate, expensive Sunday clothes that girls will wear on Sundays and boys will wear under duress, and it's a date on the calendar that makes it okay to wear white shoes again.

Granted, it gives the C&E Christians a purpose for being C&E Christians (Christmas and Easter, for those of you that aren't aware of the practice of certain peoples of entering a church building on only two events a year... that being the already mentioned holidays).

And it gives grandparents everywhere the excuse to jack up their grandkids on even more chocolate than the parents bought. And where would we all be without chocolate ears to bite off every year. Well, that last one is pretty sarcastic, as I don't remember the last time I bit ears off of a chocolate rabbit, but I must've been in junior high or before.

It amazes me that the same people that bitch about the state of the economy follow with news bites about the chocolate industry and holiday sales. Maybe we should add a few more holidays that we could promote to keep the spenders spending. I suggest "Guy Day" where women buy the men in their lives tools and beer as a thank you for birthdays, anniversaries, and Valentine's Day. Or how about "Friend Day" where we splurge on the one person that's best kept our secrets, covered our ass, partied with us, and lied for us. I like "Disposable Day" where disposable crap we've been hanging on to for far too long gets replaced -- like cars, appliances, and bad relationships.

But back to Easter, and a side note about it. Did you realize that the Catholic church changed St. Patrick's Day this year to March 15th because the 17th was a holy Monday as part of Easter week?

Ya know, now that I'm thinking about it, I should go support the economy and buy some Peeps. If I don't do my part, the stock market may be adversely affected.

2 comments:

~ T ~ said...

eww, don't drink Pepsi! I'm all about the chocolate though. For the economy's sake of course.

Margo Crawford said...

Not Pepsi!! Silly T... PEEPS!! you know, the chick or bunny-shaped marshmallow treats rolled in pink or yellow granulated sugar and with sugar eyes plunked down where they should be? PEEPS!!!!! (pepsi... sheesh. that's not very Easterish) :D