Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

I noticed the civil calendar has today listed as February 14th. I haven't been to Wal-Mart, Albertson's, Target, or any other retailer or grocer to see if all the celebratory baubles are on sale at half-off yet. For my own sick sense of humor, I might go later on. That will give the employees a few hours to start replacing all the red with green in anticipation of St. Patrick's Day.

My planned activity for today includes... nothing, actually. I did the dishes last night, getting them out of the way. Laundry's all done as well. I might go out to lunch with my favorite little man, and I might even start planning his 4th birthday coming up soon. So far I cleaned the bathroom, tidied up the living room, and made breakfast. Yep, just another day on the calendar is racing by too slowly.

Now don't think me too jaded, dear reader. I have plenty of unromantic days that have highly romantic connotations. There was a day in October a couple of years back that still stands out as particularly remarkable; it was a Saturday. There was December 29th one year... I couldn't tell you the day of the week now. I am still particularly fond of a day in May back in 2000 that stands out in an unconventional sense, but romantic just the same, and there was a January 7th of particular note that rings out as well. I have hundreds of these... associated with places or events... that are so poignant that even the most carefully planned textbook notions of romance carefully executed on any given February 14th would pale by comparison, and I even have a highly memorable Feb. 14th in my stable of memories as well.

I believe I might have Wendy's for lunch. My son loves it there, even though he never gets a toy like at McDonald's. Maybe he'll ask for Applebee's instead. If I drank them, I'd get a Bloody Mary as a personal metaphor for celebrating the martyred saints. But I don't drink them; I prefer my vegetables non-liquified.

Maybe I'll buy my son a new movie. We've watched The Return of Superman all week, and quite frankly, I'm a little sick of it. Not that I don't love the scene where he gets shot in the eye and the bullet bounces off to the ground -- I do. But I can only watch a movie so many times in succession....

At the end of the day, I'll probably curl up with my latest read: Straight Into Darkness by Faye Kellerman, set in 1920's Munich. Germany was a political hot spot at the time, for those not paying attention. I just finished a very entertaining read: Tim Green's Exact Revenge. Maybe I'll watch CSI:, more than likely I'll play City of Heroes.

How will you/did you spend this particular day, dear reader? Please leave me your comments and regale me with your stories!

3 comments:

Sara said...

We got a new cat! Still trying to think of a name though...talk to ya later!

Jessica said...

Have u try the online bookstore Cocomartini.com
http://www.cocomartini.com

I get all my textbooks for this semester from this bookstore. All are brand new textbooks and half price discount textbooks.

Good luck and wish some help.

hehe ^_^

Little Bald Bastard said...

I made a spinach, feta and red pepper quiche for dinner. And I even let my wife have some.