Friday, January 25, 2008

Kettle calls Pot collect

...and the conversation rang up quite the tab for Pot. But what really struck a chord was the ringing in Pot's ear after the 2x4 hit the pot broadside.

Seems I've been slacking on my posting.

Figures. I get a couple of new loyal readers, and they're already heckling me for new and constantly changing content. Sheesh the masses can get demanding! :D

Here's the thing about new content. I've gotta have some to post it.

Okay, okay, I have some. I'm just a slacker.

Let me tell you about Monday, as it's some new content:

On Monday, I went kayaking again. Get used to it, it's a new habit. And it gives me content.

Anyway, I went out and had a great time in the boat, and came back to grab my camera and shoot some local wildlife: birds, otters, and a bucket. Don't worry about the bucket, that's a whole 'nuther story.

About this time, another kayaker came around the bend, as it was, and got swept up by the current and pushed up against the pier I was standing on, and he dumped. For a few moments I was concerned that he wasn't coming back, as he was in a sit-in kayak, and had to fight the current to get out of the craft. When he did surface, it was for just a moment, as his boat tumbled on top of his head and submerged him again.

By this time, which was only a few seconds in real time, I had put my camera down on the pier and was scurrying over to help him. He, specifically, was out of my reach, so I grabbed his kayak, which was very quickly sinking as it filled. We stared at each other for a moment, and I realized that the 50-ish degree water he was trying to tread was far too cold for his blue-jean and sweatshirt clad body to tolerate for long.

At that moment, however, he was not understanding the words that were coming out of my mouth.

"Shimmy down the dock to the edge" was Greek to him. "Shimmy down and get out of the water" was no better. "I have the boat, just worry about you" didn't really register either. After repeating it a few times, however, the fear and shock in his eyes cleared enough to realize that he wasn't going to ever get that boat out of the water by pulling up on it from in the water.

He agreed that getting himself out was a good idea. So he shimmied down the dock after all.

By this time a passerby raced down the pier to join us and he grabbed the kayak. I moved to grab the aft end and lift it out of the water, forcing some of the water back out. Good thing this guy came along too. My fingers were getting numb from the water temperature, and the kayak was fully submerged just below the surface, held visible only by my cold stiffening fingers.

We wrestled the craft topside and rolled it belly up onto the pier. We even managed to locate and retrieve the paddler's paddle, which had conveniently caught on the opposite side of the same pier. Fortune smiled on that guy, let me tell you.

We got his boat back to the truck, and I left him with the piece of advice to get out of those wet clothes ASAP so as to avoid hypothermia setting in. Then I returned to my normally scheduled day, glad that my kayak was a self-bailing sit-on-top model, and that no matter what else happened that day, at least my boat would be afloat.

1 comment:

Little Bald Bastard said...

Good blogger. Have a peanut.