Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Day and Sand Tarts

So it's Christmas Day, 2007. It happens to coincide with my 200th post. Thank you and big cyber hugs to the three readers who've stuck with me through ups, downs, daily postings, and weeks in between nuggets of wisdom, sarcasm, wit, and the occasional inspiration. Without you three... well, I probably would've quit altogether some months ago.

Today, seeing as how some people actually celebrate this holiday with warm fuzzy feelings, I will not embrace my inner snark, and instead be of good cheer. Well, be of decent cheer. Today I will bestow glad tidings of great....

No, I won't go that far. But surely you loyal readers saw that one coming.

Today, I will share with you my grandmother's recipe for Sand Tarts, a traditional southern Christmas cookie:

Sand Tarts --

1 lb. oleo
3/4 c. powdered sugar
2 c. flour (add slowly)
2 T. ice water
2 T. vanilla
2 c. chopped pecans

Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes



The recipe is wholly wrong.

I followed it and I did not end up with anything sandy or tarty. I ended up with an oozed cookie with a pecan in the center. When I tried to remove it from the cookie sheet, it crumbled. Though this recipe will make your house smell incredible... I'll give it that.

For a real, workable sand tart recipe written by someone that didn't have dementia when she wrote it, go here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a pound of butter.................................