Thursday, December 20, 2007

Aftertaste

I still haven't washed the commercial after-taste of Christmas out of my mouth. Maybe that's because it's only December 20. More than likely, it's because when I bite down on a grudge, I really grip it hard and it mixes with my saliva for a while before I give it up again. And Christmas is one big humbug for me.

In fact, were I a biologist that discovered a new species of bug of any type, I'd name it the "Humbug" because I could.

It's not that I don't share a soft-spot for Christmas songs and hot wassail and kissing under the mistletoe. I do. In fact, I can be quite romantic over chestnuts roasting on an open fire. The key here is that I *can* be. Once I've vomited out ever kiss beginning with Kay and the one-day-only sales at JC Penney's and Kohl's and whatever the toy of the year is and however long the lines are to get it. That remind me, I need to go buy High School Musical 2 as a gift.... At least I can put that one off till tomorrow, as it's not in the stores yet.

Today I'm especially enlightened towards the jaded side. There is no reason. No cosmic cause. It's just fun to embrace the cynic in me during a time when I have nothing better to do than be cynical.

As a mom, I find it necessary to feed, bathe, and love my kids. I don't feel the need to put up a Christmas tree and decorate the house with garland and lights. So when presents wrapped in red and green paper arrived by post, I piled them "under" a side table with a lovely floral arrangement created by me in silk flowers reminiscent of the exotic plants for which they were inspired. By chance, the arrangement also happens to be red and green. Yay for Christmas spirit.

A dear friend of mine has it exactly right. She and her husband are leaving on a jet plane Christmas Eve to spend a week in Jamaica. "To hell with this holiday" is my paraphrased version of her thoughts. I'm jealous; why didn't I think of that?

2 comments:

Little Bald Bastard said...

See, here's where being a non-spiritual malcontent makes life easier. We're USED to being frustrated by the rituals and traditions of the theological majority. Christmas is just another time of year to be cranky.

Anonymous said...

on the flip side of that, for those of use who ARE of the Christian faith, and know about the pagan origins -- not because we were blogged, but because we already knew -- ...Christmas is just another time of year to be cranky....