Monday, January 29, 2007

Conversation in a restaurant

I went to one of my favorite local spots for dinner tonight... just me and the munchkin. It's a 50's style diner, small, booth seating, and old-style fountain drinks. You know what I'm talking about, the ones where the syrup and the soda are perfectly mixed....

The place was empty except for "little man" and myself and one little old lady toting a paperback book. So the waitresses (all two of them) and "us customers" got to talking about traffic, the weather, driving in snow and ice and rain... the usual stuff that "old timers" talk about when they get together. Only we were hardly old....

Seems times are a' changin'. Or maybe things are as they ever were, only the younger are beginning to care. Either way, for a moment, I felt myself become my mother and father, my grandparents and their friends. I felt maturity press on me. And it felt like a comfortable pair of shoes.

3 comments:

Ang-ang said...

yeah youre right thats hot

SuziSusana said...

i love going to 50's diners, the only problem is that the closest one is about 100 miles away. once a month though, we make that drive for the best burger, curly fries, and a malt. the waitresses still dress in the pink uniform - complete with the hat. the elvis memorabilia and old pictures cover the wood paneled walls. it's great. and someone has to take the place of the old timers ;-)

Jon Lawrence said...

I fondly remember that place..