Wednesday, January 17, 2007

American Idol sucks me in with diversity

Okay, I admit it (begrudgingly). I love American Idol. There are weeks that I miss the show, and don't go into depression over it, but I gotta say, this is entertainment as it's best (for me).

The audition shows are the greatest. I love that so many people will go so far to get a few seconds of TV fame, albeit a few seconds in front of millions of people. And if you're bad enough, those seconds will be aired from time to time throughout the season. I also love it that we do get a preview of some of the talent to come. For me, cheering for the talented is what it's all about. Growing up dreaming that I could become a singer myself, I think it's great that undiscovered talent has a shot at a recording career that may otherwise not exist for the contestants. Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson have certainly proven their ilk since their appearances on the show. The days of blowing off the real potential of American Idol for the contestants are over.

But man. If you're one of those that make a complete idiot of yourself in front of the cameras, do you ever live it down to those that inevitably will recognize you? In gluttonous amusement, I've turned in already to see how bad the talent can be. And how good. So far I have not been disappointed.

No comments: