Thursday, July 27, 2006

Ordinary Thursday

It's an ordinary Thursday, here. The sun is shining, the wind is stilled, and life is quiet.

In other parts of the world, people are burying their loved ones, or celebrating new birth, or going off to work at war.

I'm not saying this because it's just a general truth; I happen to personally know people who fit each of these descriptions. Odd, how the funerals are piling up this month... but I digress.

While I am blessed with a quiet day at home, to do nothing more than laundry and straighten up around the house, play with the kids, and feed the social experiment*, I have friends that are having a much rougher go at it today. And the celebrating new birth thing isn't really a "rough" go compared to being deployed to Iraq by comparison, but those deployed will return home (if at all) long before that new kid is raised to 18. It's all relative, you know.

But that, I suppose, is the whole point today. It's all relative. Very Buddist, or zen, or transcendental, or New Age, if you think about it. Granted, if I see a cockroach, I probably will not refrain from squishing it as the Tibetian Monks would, but I will consider the implications afterwards and hope that I am not stuck with another bug of even less desirable fashion because of my actions. These considerations will take but a moment, and then I'll move on.

The larger considerations, however, I may ponder all day. Certainly this would not be a quiet ordinary day were I in Israel today. It would not be ordinary if it were last Thursday, when I was attending a graveside service. And it will not be quiet a week from now when my daughter goes off to school.

So today, "ordinary Thursday" may only apply to me. However yours is going, I hope that it is going well, relatively speaking.

*The social experiment I am referring to is my fish tank and the blog can be found in the June archives.

No comments: