Thursday, July 13, 2006

Fun with Ziplock

First of all, happy birthday to me.

Now that we have that out of the way, let me tell you about a small adventure I had in the kitchen today which led to me deciding that Ziplock is not the best brand to buy in sealable plastic bags.

I decided to make "muddy buddies" for my friend Thomas (who recently buried his mother) after he stopped by to take me out to breakfast for my birthday on his way back home (I'm half-way between where he was and where he's going). Anyway, "muddy buddies" also are known as "puppy chow", and for those who recognize neither name, it's a snack made of Crispix cereal covered in melted peanut butter and chocolate chips, shaken in a bag of powdered sugar. Easy to make.

And I thought it'd be a nice treat for Thomas to take on the road with him, and for the kidlets to munch on today. So I made them. Well, I got the cereal covered in the peanut butter and chocolate liquid goo, and put the concoction in the Ziplock bag with the powdered sugar. I sealed the bag and turned it upside down to shake it. I've done this many times before in the past decade, and am not an amateur. So I refuse to take any user error responsibility. Refuse. Because I made sure the bag was sealed. Twice. As in I double-checked it. (I feel it necessary to emphasize this point simply because it makes me feel better, and slightly cockier, too.)

Well, the bag immediately broke. Muddy buddies went all over the kitchen, as did the still-warm peanut butter and chocolate goo and the still dry powdered sugar, and clumps of everything. It was a big gooey mess. To my credit, I did not cry. Now I'm not a crier by nature, but I hate it when I'm trying to do a good deed and under pressure to get Thomas back on the road at that! Not to mention that I had just wasted plenty of otherwise perfectly good food in a large heap and satellite splatters all over my kitchen floor. Ooh, I was irritated.

But there is a lesson to be learned in all of this, and the biggie is this: Ziplock bags aren't foolproof. Oh sure, there's the lesson about time constraints and "proper prior planning prevents poor performance" and such, but for me, it's all about the Ziplock bag. Next time I'm going to buy the bargain brand.

2 comments:

Al said...

Ah, a perfect example of no good deed going unpunished. Your case is special because it happened even before you completed the good deed.

Have a happy birthday but go easy on the birthday candles on your cake, this may be your day for disasters.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »