Monday, July 17, 2006

Butterflies

A great man passed away this morning within moments of my other blog. He is a former U.S. Army officer, he is a Vietnam veteran, he is a retired schoolteacher, he is a good man, friend, husband, father, and grandfather. He leaves behind many who love him.

But it is just his physical body that's gone, not him. He is still alive in spirit and in the hearts of those who love and remember him. His widow told me that he was a butterfly now, having left this body behind like a cocoon shell and flown away in his new body. My daughter thought that that was beautiful and spent the day coloring butterflies in her coloring book -- beautiful pink, blue, brown, red, purple, yellow, and green ones.

As a neat final thought, it is often said that for every life God takes, he gives another. Within five minutes of my father's passing, the hospital played a lullaby over the speakers signifying that a baby had just been born.

1 comment:

SuziSusana said...

I'm sorry you're going through this. We believe that about butterflies too. We had put on my sons grave marker, and I smile every time I see one.