Friday, June 02, 2006

Ray Bradbury said it best

I stumbled across Ray Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing" just about a week before I started this blog, just a couple of months ago. I can honestly say that never before has one book so quickly and so resolutely changed my life - or at least the writing aspect of it.

Because of my fans, a good 80% of you are known to me as avid readers and thinkers, if not writers (and many of you are that, as well), I wanted to share with you a bit of how this man got me to commit myself to this blog and therefore, to you, dear reader.
_____________________________
Excerpt from "Zen in the Art of Writing" by Ray Bradbury, ISBN 0-553-29634-5:

"...And so what, you ask, does writing teach us?

First and foremost, it reminds us that we are alive and that it is a gift and a priviledge, not a right. We must earn life once it has been awarded us. Life asks for rewards back it has favored us with animation.

So while our art cannot, as we wish it could, save us from wars, privation, envy, greed, old age, or death, it can revitalize us amidst it all.

Second, writing is survival. Any art, any good work, of course, is that.

Not to write, for many of us, is to die."
__________________________

I will not die, a wordless death, consumed by thoughts too grand, eccentric, transcendental, theologic, political, intelligent, immature, uneducated, or opinionated to be written down.

Please don't always agree with me, unless of course I am correct in my presentation of thoughts (which I often am...). Fight me, tooth and nail, to challenge us both to firmly establish a basis for our beliefs, formed out of real grit and substance, not puff and dreams. Conversely, join me, when I am dreaming, to dance in the realm of imagination, tangoing seductively across an ocean of possibility.

If you are a reader, then - please! - read, for surely I will concoct plenty to say. And if you are also a writer, then write!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.