Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Dream Space

Last night I had a particularly memorable and strange dream. I was on board a large commercial aircraft, but it was travelling from somewhere in space back to earth. I was travelling with my old childhood and high school friends, including my first boyfriend, P____. The craft had to make a stop at a very intergalactic space station, much like a celestial airport hub, complete with coffee stands, gift shops, and even hotels.

During this stellar layover, we were allowed to leave the ship and wander around the space station to shop, get a bite to eat and the like. We all disembarked.

Now, I wish I could tell you the conversation that exchanged between me and P_____, but I cannot. This is significant because over the years, I've often had recurring dreams about him, but always in different settings or situations, and I can never remember the verbal exchange, only that I always wake up feeling like he's looking for me.

After our brief conversation, my old very best friend of youth, J____, drags me away for some shopping. We laugh and enjoy our time, and speaking of time -- it is completely forgotten.

An announcement is made that those travelling back to earth need to re-board the craft, and I remember seeing my childhood boyfriend reaching for my hand, as if to make sure nothing goes wrong this time. I shake my head, indicating towards the restroom, that I'll catch up, but that I have to make one last stop first. Well, J____ and P____ and all the others that I knew and loved back in my hometown get on the elevator taking them back up to the craft, and I head for the bathroom, except it moved.

Now I have to find the thing. And time and pressure is against me. In a frenzy I run through spartan beige rooms made of hard plastic walls, tables, and even chairs. Everything is beige. There are floor lamps that illuminate the walls and ceiling in circular spots, and the glow is slightly yellow and annoying. The plastic green potted plants arranged everywhere are the same from one room to the next. Soon I have no idea where either the bathroom or the elevator is.

Running into a recognizable face of an old teacher, she attempts to usher me towards an elevator I don't remember seeing, but again I insist that I must first find a restroom. Finally she points me in the direction of a loo, adds "Hurry up!", and disappears into the elevator. I have three minutes.

And it is now, over the scope of my whole life, that I experience an Austin Powers' bathroom moment. I know it takes four minutes just to pee... and the final board is called. Finished, washed up, and harried, I run out of there and back to the elevator my teacher took up to the craft. But since I didn't know what ever it was that she knew, I exit the elevator on the right floor in the wrong spot. I head for the first craft I see, and it's the wrong one. Well now I panic.

The crew there gives me quick directions and I run down a corridor of greyish white towards the next craft bay. There the crew confirms that they are indeed going to earth, and I quickly board. No one on the craft is recognizable to me. Stumbling back to the crew, they tell me that I missed my flight, and that they are landing in Washington, D.C., not Altanta, where I was scheduled to land, where my grandmother was going to pick me up from the airport. That was hours out of the way and I had no way to let her know the change!

I have no choice. Either I go to D.C. or I stay in space. And J____ and P____ and all the others are headed back home. I am not going with them. I visualize P____'s face and hand outstretched towards me imploring me to come with him. I wake up. No face, no space, no craft, just the memory of a vivid dream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.