Friday, May 05, 2006

24 hours of serendipity

A poet-friend-in-a-stranger and I had the unique priviledge of colliding one hot August day on the streets of Washington, D.C. a few years back. To say that we were opposites of the same coin is a gross understatement, but we most definitely were of the same stamped coin. Peas in a pod and all that....

We instantly fell madly in love, as poets will, and our platonic passion was insatiable in our desire to slink into each other's skin and suck all the creative juices out. We were so alive that for one day, every sense was enhanced and heightened to the point where I can still exactly describe how the bookstore smelled..., how the sushi tasted..., how hot the chair was where we sat outside a Starbucks drinking tepid coffee..., how cold the rain was when it started to fall on us as we sat there..., or even how blue his eyes were as he laughed at me and challenged me to simply remain there and enjoy the rain falling and rippling electrical currents over my skin.

He made me face myself from a kaleidoscope of different angles and he introduced me to a few me's I'd never met before. We walked and talked and noticed absolutely everything and nothing and wrote about all of it later. When even the bars decided to close up shop and call it quits for the night, we stayed up, completely absorbed in the moment, lost in a time warp where we crammed nearly 60 years of combined experiences into a few hours, as well as some hopes and dreams and barest fantasies.

Parting the next morning felt like ripping my soul out and stomping on it with a stilletto, heel first. Admitting the pain was admitting regretting having to part at all, and realizing that it was all pointless, in the grander scheme, since the whole experience can be surmised as serendipity, ephiphany, and moot. We both had homes to return to, with responsibilities and lives that eagerly awaited our return. But it made it no less painful to be so full of life and poetry for one moment and have it all blow away in the jet wash of our respective planes the next, as we parted company and returned to routine convention and schedule.

2 comments:

TheMatrix8475 said...

It's a rarity to meet someone so in tune with yourself that moments like that are to be treasured and remembered always. The way you put this memory down makes me feel as if I was there. And after such a meeting, its clear this person had an impact on your life. Thak you for sharing such a close memory.....

Evil Ming said...

Being 'that person' I can confirm that time never heals the electric serenity that is absorbed inside our minds